Who Is Eligible for Express Entry Canada?

Each year, millions of people immigrate to Canada—whether it be for...

a bicycle leaning against a white wall

Each year, millions of people immigrate to Canada—whether it be for refuge from political turmoil, a job, or personal reasons. If you’re considering immigrating to Canada from your country, there are some aspects of the system you will need to know. One of the more easy ways to move to Canada is through the Express Entry program. Read on to learn more about this program and who may be eligible.

What exactly is Express Entry?


Express Entry is a system set up by the Canadian government so that people can register to move to Canada online. When you sign up, you answer questions and are assigned a certain number of points based on your answers.

To use Express Entry, you must qualify under one of the three federal economic immigrant classes of:

  • Federal Skilled Worker: Canada’s ideal skilled worker is someone between the ages of 20-29 with three years of skilled work experience, a bachelor’s degree, and a high test score demonstrating proficiency in either English or French.
  • Federal Skilled Trades: This program is for people who work in trades that are in high demand in Canada. It is a bit more selective, as just 900 people were offered this invite in 2018.
  • Canadian Experience Class: You may qualify under this one if you already have experience working in Canada and wish to become a permanent resident. Many foreign students take this route to stay in Canada after graduating from university. They apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit Program so that they can obtain a year of skilled work experience to be eligible for Express Entry.

How can I be eligible for Express Entry?

Canada uses a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to rank each applicant. To be eligible, you must score a certain number of points. The maximum score you can receive is 1200 points and your score is based on the answers you give when you fill out the Express Entry form. As you fill out the form, you’ll be asked to answer questions about your age, nationality, family members, language abilities, work experience, education, and any potential job offers you might have from a Canadian company. In order to prove your language ability, you will need to provide test results even if English or French is your first language.

Tests you can take for this include:

  • IELTS: International English Language Testing System
  • CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program
  • TEF: Test d’Evaluation de Français
  • TCF: Test de Connaissance du Français

You also need to answer questions about your work experience in any skilled trades such as electrical, construction, agriculture, culinary, and more. The government may want to verify that you have the right experience, license, or certifications that apply to your trade.

After you submit your answers, the system itself will determine which immigrant class you may fit into (you cannot request to be considered for one over the other). To increase your point score, you may need to apply to the individual province you want to live in, as their acceptance can increase your CRS score by 600 points.

Do you need help determining your eligibility for Express Entry into Canada?

If the system denies your request, you can apply again—and with the help of an immigration lawyer such as Green Light Canada, you may be able to get into the program as they work to determine your eligibility. Green Light Canada helps skilled workers with their Express Entry applications—they can compile the necessary documents for you and procure an invitation for you to work in provinces such as British Columbia, Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, and Manitoba.

Most Popular